Graduate Required Documents

The Graduate School processes and evaluates graduate applications according to admission standards set by the Graduate Council.

Step 1. Application to OSU-Cascades

All admissions application forms are available online.

The current application fee is $60 USD and is not waived and is non-refundable. An individual application and fee is required for each application submitted. Applying for multiple graduate majors requires multiple applications and fees.

Materials such as transcripts and letters of recommendation should be mailed to the OSU-Cascades Enrollment Services:

Enrollment Services
1500 SW Chandler Avenue
Bend, Oregon 97702

Please send:

  1. One official transcript from all previous academic work, undergraduate and graduate (grade slips and web printable transcripts or reports will not be accepted). Official transcripts must be issued directly by the school and arrive in our office in an unopened envelope.

    Note: Current and former Oregon State University students required to provide unofficial OSU transcripts with their program application.

Step 2. Requirements of your program of study

Application requirements vary by program. The processing of your application will not be completed until your program receives all the required documents.

For specific instructions review requirements for Graduate Programs.

Graduate admissions generally requires the following:

  1. A statement of objectives and particular fields of interest. This is normally completed as part of the on-line application.
  2. Three letters of professional reference are required of all students, sealed in envelopes, addressed to the proposed major department/program. Reference letters should be written on official letterhead.
  3. Certain departments and programs may require official test scores (example: Praxis, CBEST, etc).

Contact your proposed program if you have any questions regarding the letters of professional reference, or other program requirements.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

  • I am a current/former OSU student. Do I need to send OSU transcripts?
    Yes, please submit unofficial or official transcripts with your program application.
  • If I am a permanent resident of the U.S. but have lived abroad most of my life, do I need to submit TOEFL scores?
    If your native language is not English, you need to submit language proficiency scores. The requirement is not based upon country of citizenship or residency.
  • Can I wait and turn in my financial documents until after an admission decision has been made?
    Although we can process your admission more quickly if we have the documents, you may wait until we contact you to ask for these documents.
  • Can you let me know what the status of my application is?
    Please follow the directions on this page: Log In to check the status of your application online. If your questions are not resolved, please contact us by email at
  • Can I send transcript before I complete an application form?
    You can, we can more quickly match your application and transcripts if the application arrives first.
  • Where do I send my TOEFL or other test scores?
    Official TOEFL and other test scores should be sent by the testing agency. Use institution code 4586 to have score sent to OSU-Cascades. If you are sending paper copies of unofficial scores, please use the mailing address above.

Letters of Reference/Recommendation

  • Is a letter of professional reference the same as a letter of recommendation?
    The terminology refers to the same thing in most cases, but please refer to the specific instructions given by your proposed major/program web site.
  • Do I send three or four letters of recommendation?
    The minimum number of letters of professional reference is three.
  • Who qualifies as a professional reference?
    Letters of recommendation should come from faculty because they are in the best position to assess your ability to do academic work. Other professional references may be compelling if the work experience is directly related to the graduate field of interest and/or has provided a specialized skill set necessary to be competent in the field. Letters from non-faculty contacts may be relevant if there has been a significant lapse in time since you completed your prior degree.
  • Is there a letter form to complete?
    Programs have various requirements and some do have a recommendation form. If not, the letter of professional reference should be on the letterhead of the reference's institution or the writer's place of employment.
  • Do they (the writer) mail it in or can I send it with my application material?
    You can have the professional reference sent directly to the program or include it in an original sealed envelope with other programmatic admissions requirements.
  • Does OSU-Cascades contact writers to ask for letters? Or should I?
    You must obtain the letters of professional reference. OSU-Cascades will not ask for them.
  • Do I send them to each department to which I am applying?
    If you are applying for more than one program/major you will need to send letters of reference to each department.
  • Where do I send the letters?
    To the mailing address above (top of page).
  • I put 3 references in the on-line application but I wish to add a 4th. How would I do that?
    You can send additional letters of professional reference to your proposed major program.
  • I applied on-line. Can I send my reference letters electronically?
    No. Currently letters must be sent by post.