International students are eligible for on-campus employment at OSU-Cascades with F-1 and J-1 visas, however there are important regulations for international students to understand regarding off-campus employment.

International students have the opportunity to participate in curricular practical training (CPT) prior to graduation. CPT allows international students to engage in part-time or full-time work or internships, typically off-campus, during the summer or academic year that is required or an integral part of their academic curriculum.

After graduation, international students are eligible to apply for optional practical training (OPT). OPT allows most students 12 months of employment per education level (undergraduate, masters, doctoral). Students engaged in the STEM fields are eligible for an additional 17 months of STEM extension, if it applies.

Refer to this comparison of CPT and OPT for additional information.

Following CPT and/or OPT, international students will then need to qualify for and be sponsored on an H1-B visa in order to continue working in the United States if they have not already obtained supplementary visa status allowing them to live and work in the US.

The Career Development Center at OSU-Cascades can assist international students in understanding the difficulties they may face in seeking employment in the United States. We guide students in developing marketing tools to apply for jobs and internships and assist in searching for opportunities. Contact the Career Development Center at OSU-Cascades and the International Programs office at the OSU main campus in Corvallis for more information.

International students can learn more about being a student at OSU-Cascades on the website and by contacting Debbie Goff, International Programs Coordinator.