- Housing Options
- Apply for Housing
- Rates & Policies
- Resident Services
The process of applying for housing and selecting a roommate can be daunting for students who are leaving home for the first time. We have compiled a list of tips to help you understand and navigate the roommate selection process at Oregon State University - Cascades.
1. Set up your roommate profile. As part of the housing application process you will answer questions that will be used in the roommate search process. After you complete your housing application, you will want to return to our self-service portal to complete your roommate matching profile. To do this, select “Personal Information” on the top menu, and update two sections: “Update Information” and “Roommate Profile."
2. How to search for a roommate. Once you have completed your roommate profile, you will be able to search for roommates. To do this, return to the self-service portal and select “Roommate and Room selection” from the top navigation menu. From there, select “Roommates/suitemates” and then the term you will begin living on campus. Now you are set to search for a roommate via the simple or advanced roommate search.
3. Simple versus advanced roommate search. The roommate search process allows you to look for roommates two ways:
The simple search allows you to put in the name of someone you know as a roommate request. A few notes about the simple search: 1. You must spell their name exactly as it appears in the university system, and 2. Anyone you are looking to request must have a completed housing application in order to appear as a potential roommate to request. If you don’t see someone you are looking for in the simple search, contact them to make sure they have completed their housing application.
The advanced roommate search allows you to search for potential roommates based on the roommate profile questions you answered on your housing application and other criteria like major or class standing. If you find you are not getting many results, try simplifying your search for more options. Sometimes specific keyword searches limit you from finding a great potential roommate. We advise you try many different options in this search to see how your results vary.
4. Push yourself outside your comfort zone. We understand the process of looking for a roommate can be challenging, and even a little uncomfortable. We encourage you to embrace this process for all that it represents about your transition to life in college. Don’t just accept the first roommate request you receive; actively engage in conversations with multiple roommates to see who will be the best fit for you. Also, once you have found a roommate, let others you have been talking with know you have found someone else. One final tip here: don’t live with a friend. We won’t stop you from doing this, but we would encourage you to trust our experience when we say that it rarely works to live with someone you know.
5. Be patient with the process. Roommate matching is open from March 1, 2017 - May 15, 2017. Every day more students are completing their housing applications who will be potential roommate matches for you. Take your time to find someone you are truly compatible with.
6. Roommate matches must be completely mutual to be valid. Anyone you request as a roommate must confirm this request to be valid, and vice versa. You can see all requests you have sent or received and the status of that match on the roommate search page.
7. Talk to potential roommates about where you want to live. If you want to be in a two bedroom aprtment, and your potential roommate wants to be in a double with a shared bath, that will eventually be a problem.