OSU-Cascades offers a major in biology. Issues and advances in areas such as biotechnology, environmental science, medicine and other fields continually emphasize the importance of biology and biologists in the future of our country and the world.
The biology program prepares students for diverse fields through broad, interdisciplinary training in the life sciences. This major is also ideal for students who are looking to continue from undergraduate into professional/medical programs.
Post-baccalaureate students who are interested in biology need to check the Admission Criteria for Post-Bacc Students from OSU's College of Science.
The program also offers a biology minor.
1. Successful integration into a research university setting: Students will demonstrate understanding of the skill set needed for successful integration into a research university setting.
2. Professional communication skills used in a health professions related career: Students will communicate professionally both verbally and in writing.
3. Student Engagement: Students will demonstrate engagement through involvement in research or internship activities, the Pre-Health Clubs (e.g. pre-nursing, pre-pharmacy, pre-medical, pre-dental, pre-physical therapy, etc.) and outreach or mentoring activities specific to their health professional discipline.
4. Life Sciences Specific Core Knowledge: Students will be able to acquire, articulate, retain and apply specialized language and knowledge relevant to life sciences.
5. Professional School Acceptance: Students will meet pre-requisite requirements for application to health professions school.