Emergency: Call 9-1-1
When you receive the notice to evacuate the building, or you decide to evacuate due to a nearby danger:
1. Immediately obey evacuation alarms and orders to evacuate.
Classes in session must evacuate
All OSU employees share the responsibility to ensure students, visitors, visiting vendors and guests to the campus are evacuated
2. If time allows and without endangering yourself,
Place equipment in a safe configuration
Inform others in your vicinity of the current situation
Take any personal items you may need
3. Leave the building - do not use elevators.
Use the nearest, safest exit
Warn others as you evacuate, but do not delay your own evacuation
All personnel are to exit the building
4. Assist persons with mobility or other evacuation concerns
Students, staff and visitors who are blind should be assisted through hallways and down stairways
Wheelchair bound persons should follow evacuation routes on the ground floor of a building. If not on the ground floor, wheel to the nearest assembly area (stairway door). Rescue personnel will search these areas first, and help individuals with disabilities evacuate the building.
o If an area is not accessible, go to an area that provides a barrier between you and the hazard
o Communicate with responders
o Dial 9-1-1 or OSU-Cascades Public Safety (541-322-3110)
o Place a cloth or clothing out a window to attract attention
o Notify others who are evacuating to inform responders of your location
5. Take your cell phone, valuables, and evacuation kit with you.
6. Proceed outside the building to the evacuation assembly area. All personnel should move as far away from the building as practical, so as not to be in danger or in the way of emergency responders. (minimum 50 feet away)
7. Conduct accountability for personnel under your supervision
8. Wait for official notice before attempting to re-enter the building.
9. Report problems or concerns to the OSU-Cascades Director of Public Safety or other leadership
Classroom / Lab Instructors
1. Identify an assembly point 50 feet from the building for students
2. Direct students to exit through the nearest and safe exit
3. Assign two individuals for each student with disabilities to assist in their safe evacuation from the building
4. Check the classroom/lab area to ensure evacuation is complete prior to exiting the area
5. Once outside, check to see that no one is missing.