Career Development, Every Term
Cascades Edge is career development built into your coursework every term – at no additional cost. It’s our commitment to helping you find a future that inspires you and providing the tools to get there.
See National Coverage
Inside Higher Ed
How It Works
Gain an Edge
Confidence in your career path
Fewer costly major changes
Professional experience before you graduate
Stronger resume and interviewing skills
Cascades Edge starts your very first term. Whether you are passionate about your major or still undecided, we’ll work with you to explore your strengths, values and interests — and how they relate to different career paths.
- Take values and personality assessments.
- Identify important issues you're passionate about.
- Explore possible occupations.
- Conduct informational interviews and learn from guest speakers.
- Get career planning support and resources.
- Explore student clubs and local organizations of interest.
- Evaluate the ROI of your chosen career and your financial goals.
- Create a draft resume.
How do you want to make an impact? You’ll design a personalized mission statement and action plan that gives direction and purpose to your academic career. Refine it as you grow!
- Create a mission statement.
- Develop a personal action plan.
- Define what success looks like and connect with a unique purpose.
- Meet with academic and career advisors.
- Create an action plan that identifies next steps to developing your career.
Get the edge you need to land a great job after graduation. Every term, you'll pursue professional development activities that give you a career advantage.
- Conduct informational interviews.
- Participate in job shadowing and get to know employers.
- Meet with career advisors.
- Participate in internships, research or other experiential learning.
- Practice interviewing skills.
- Refine and target your resume.
- Attend career fairs and networking events.
- "Preparation for" workshops
The National Association of Colleges and Employers has established eight career-ready competencies. Employers are looking for graduates with these skills. Earn digital badges from the Cascades Edge program for online platforms including the Licenses and Certifications section of your LinkedIn profile. Badges include:
Equity & Inclusion
Professional Experience Before You Graduate
Hydro Flask sales intern and outdoor products major Brendan Lewis worked with buyers to improve Hydro Flask’s in-store merchandising and made sure e-commerce sites were up-to-date with photos and branding. “I do well with hands-on learning,” said Brendan. “I'm excited to be getting real-life experience in my field.”
Find What You Love
Think Wild's wildlife hospital on Bend's east side rehabilitates animals to be released back into the wild. Tourism, recreation and adventure leadership major and Think Wild intern Liz Crandall fed, medicated and monitored animals ranging from songbirds to owls to skunks. “In the future, when I'm helping people enjoy the outdoors, I want to be more than just a guide,” said Liz. “I want people to have a richer understanding of the space they are in.”