When you are reaching out to professionals, you want to start by introducing yourself and your common interests. Then you want to ask if they would be willing to meet with you for 30 minutes or so to answer some questions about their company/organization and career path. Most people are happy to help and share their stories and expertise. If you do run into someone who’s not, simply move on and find someone else to contact. For more information, read Tips for Informational Interviews and Job Shadows.
Hello First and Last Name,
My name is Juliene and I am a current student at OSU-Cascades in the Tourism, Recreation and Adventure Leadership program. I am very interested in learning more about what you do for a career and potentially working for a company like Sun Country Tours in the future. Would you be willing to meet with me, either in person or virtually, for 20 to 30 minutes to answer a few questions about your career path and company? I would greatly appreciate any advice that you might have for me as I explore opportunities in the tourism industry.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.
- What led you to pursue a career in...?
- What are your primary and daily responsibilities?
- Describe what a typical work day is like for you?
- What experiences, skills, and education are necessary for a person to be successful in this role?
- What do you like most/least about your job?
- How have you been able to develop/move up within the company?
- How did your academic background prepare you for this position?
- What are the greatest challenges that people face in this role?
- What are the typical entry level positions in this field?
- What is the typical salary range for this type of position?
- How would you describe your current work environment?
- What is the work/life balance like in this position/field/company?
- What meaning do you find in the work that you do?
- What other local organizations hire people in this field?
- How competitive is this field to get into?
- What advice do you have for me if I want to pursue a career in this field?
- What professional associations would you recommend that I get involved in?
- Can you suggest any additional resources that I should look into to learn more?
- What are some of the emerging trends or challenges that you are facing?
- Can you think of anything else that would be important for me to know or consider as I move forward?
- Could you refer me to one or two other people in the field that I should connect with to learn more?
- Would you mind if I connected with you on LinkedIn and stayed in touch for potential future questions?