Our Students: Oregon State University - Cascades is fast becoming the leading center of learning and teaching in hospitality. Our school develops enthusiastic students with both academic knowledge and practical skills while providing them with real life experience in the workplace. In order to give students this real-life employment opportunity, OSU-Cascades undertakes a work placement program for all our students in the areas of hospitality, tourism, events and leisure management for varying periods of time depending on the student's level and school year.
Our students are willing and enthusiastic and would like to join you in the following broad areas:
- Front office and reservations, sales and marketing, conference and banqueting management, food and beverage, customer service, accommodation service and catering provision
- Event organization, public relations, venue management, music and entertainment, conference organization
- Travel and tour operations, visitor attractions, airline services, tour guides, tourism development, heritage centers and museums
Could your organization benefit from:
- An enthusiastic student willing to develop new skills?
- A fresh perspective and new ideas, not influenced by past experiences or practices?
- A student who can help to develop your social media presence?
- Assistance with a specific project?
- Up-to-date knowledge of research in your industry?
- The first pick of future graduates?
- Significant recruitment savings?
- A student who may conduct research for your organization as part of their internship?
How we will support your company? Once you have contacted us, we can:
- Guide you on how to structure your job description;
- Circulate your vacancy to relevant students;
- Advise on the terms and conditions of the placement;
- Give ongoing support and advice;
- Provide a dedicated academic mentor for the student
Work placement program - what do we ask of you?
- Supply a 12 week to 6 month work placement (depending on the internship)
- Provide a designated line manager/supervisor or mentor who will guide and support the student and work with the placement office
- Offer increasingly challenging duties, according to the learner's capabilities
- Assign a variety of task to expose student to many aspects of company/industry; gives increased responsibilities as the training period progresses and student abilities are demonstrated
- We insist that students receive payment while on placement
- Commit to developing the student in a professional manner. Offer analysis, constructive criticism, and praise of work performance throughout training period
- Ensure health and safety (OSHA) requirements are met and adhered to, and employer liability cover is in place. If workers compensation is not offered, OSU will cover the student - this must be done before the student starts work. Standard employee rights are applicable
- Complete a formal evaluation and review with OSU faculty near end of training period
Inappropriate activities for interns:
- Clerical activities as the primary function of their internship
- Childcare as the primary function of their internship
- Providing services to clients with no supervisor available
- Academic research without recognition
- Fundraising as the primary function of their internship
- Activities that conflict with OSU’s code of ethics