International Students Frequently Asked Questions

Moving In

When can I move in?

International students with campus housing assignments may have orientation beginning prior to campus move-in dates. Students who need to arrive early to campus for orientation may move in one day prior to the start of orientation. You will not be able to move into housing until the date your housing assignment starts.

Can I send packages before I move in?

Students moving into campus housing may send packages to their campus mailing address one week prior to moving in.

Will my appliances work?

All residence space has standard North American outlets with 120 volts. An adapter and/or converter may be needed for items (computer, hair dryer, etc.) purchased outside of the United States. To see a list of appliances that are allowed in the residence space, see this list.

Can I smoke on campus?

Oregon State University-Cascades is a smoke-free campus. Smoking is not allowed anywhere on campus. Read more about the policy.

Can I have a pet?

The only pets allowed in OSU-Cascades housing facilities are fish in tanks that are smaller than 10 gallons. 

When is orientation?

Students receive orientation information from International Admissions and their advisors.  Please refer to emails regarding orientation location and start time.  Orientation schedules will be given to students during orientation check-in. 

How do I sign my contract?

If you are 18+ years old, you may sign the contract electronically via your MyHousing account. If you are under 18, you will need to electronically confirm your assignment and shortly thereafter your designated co-signer will receive an emailed contract. You are required to have a parent or guardian co-sign on the contract if you are under the age of 18.

I’m an exchange student, do I have a special contract?

No, exchange students sign the same contract to live on campus.  Exchange students will not have to pay a cancelation fee if they properly check out of their room and inform housing they are exchange students prior to leaving.

Getting Set Up

My ID card doesn't work, what do I do?

Visit the Mailroom, if it is open, or talk to the RA on Duty.

How does my meal plan work?

Dining plans are pre-loaded onto your Student ID and may be used at the Beaver Dam Cafe.

Where do I go to eat?

Your OSU-Cascades Dining Dollars give you the flexibility to eat what and when you want at the Beaver Dam Cafe.

What if I can’t find my food?

OSU-Cascades has many dining options in the Beaver Dam Cafe, including vegan and vegetarian and gluten-free. For more information on specialty dining options, or to meet with our nutritionist to find dining options that meet your needs, visit Nutrition Information.

Where do I get my mail?

Mail and packages are delivered to the mailroom on the first floor of the residence hall. You will be assigned a mailbox and combination code.

How do I check in and get my keys to my room?

International students may move into their campus housing assignments after 8 a.m. one day prior to the start of International Student Orientation. Your ID card is your room key.

If it is after 7 p.m. or you do not yet have your ID, the resident will need to check in with the on-duty Resident Assistant (RA). The RA on-duty can be reached by calling the posted cell phone number on the residence hall door. We encourage students to arrive during the day whenever possible however after 7 p.m. you will only be keyed into your room. The next morning, residents must go to the mail room to get their ID card.

How does my internet work?

All residence halls have both wired and wireless internet. We suggest students use plug devices into their wall ports when possible since WiFi may be slower than ethernet.

How can I get packages?

Packages can be mailed to your campus address. When a package arrives, the Service Center will notify you through your ONID email account. You will need to show your student ID to receive your package.

Getting Around Bend

How can I travel around Bend?

There are many ways to travel throughout the Bend area. Students can choose between the Cascades East Transit, taxicabs, bicycling or walking. The Transit System is free to use. Bus maps and schedules can be found here.  

How to call a cab?

Bend has a few taxi companies. Before calling for a taxi, be prepared to leave when the taxi arrives, drivers will charge you if they have to wait. Bend also has ride share options available.

Where can I buy a bike?

Bicycles can be purchased from many places including Craigslist, secondhand stores, and bicycle shops located in town. 

Rooms & Roommates

What if I have problems with my roommate?

Many first year college students have never had a roommate before. A great roommate match takes effort from both people. As long as you and your roommate communicate well and discuss issues ahead of time, such as schedules, cleanliness of the room, and visitors, you will find that having a roommate is not a bad thing (in fact, it can even be a great thing). However, if you discover that you and your roommate can't resolve your conflicts, find a staff member in your Residence Hall. These trained individuals are available to assist in solving conflicts.

How do I change rooms?

Housing is sometimes very full, and room changes will not happen quickly.  For more information on how to change rooms, please visit Changing Rooms.

How can I get a single room?

There are very few single rooms on campus. We do offer double rooms as singles, that means you buy out the other half of your room, but you need to keep the extra furniture. 

How do I meet other students at OSU-Cascades?

There are many ways for students to meet other students and get involved at OSU-Cascades. The Associated Students of Cascades Campus (ASCC) has many clubs for students to participate in. A list of clubs can be found here.


Where do I see my bill?

You can find your bill at MyHousing.

Where and when do I need to pay my housing and dining bill?

Housing and Dining charges are placed on your Student Account at the beginning of each term. You are responsible to pay your bill at that time either online or at Enrollment Services.

I have too much money left on my meal plan, can I get it back?

You are welcome to modify your dining plan via your MyHousing.

How do I cancel my contract?

The housing contract is a document that tells you what the rules and expectations are for a resident living with us. When you sign the contract you agree to the rules and guidelines. If you are no longer going to attend the university, you will not be subject to fee associated with breaking the contract.

Exchange students will not have to pay a cancelation fee at the time of leaving Oregon State University - Cascades for study abroad, if they properly check out of their room and inform OSU-Cascades Housing they are exchange students prior to leaving. Exchange students can not cancel their contract mid-year unless they are returning to their home university.