Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)



What is myHousing?

myHousing is a student portal to help you navigate your housing and dining experience at OSU-Cascades.

What can I do on myHousing?

Your myHousing is where you will be able to access your housing application, sign your housing and dining contract, find out who your roommate/suitemate is and be able to email them, plus so much more. Once the school year begins, you will be able to submit a room maintenance request and access many more options via your myHousing. 


Application Process


Am I required to live on campus?

Oregon State University - Cascades has a required on-campus living requirement for first-year, residential students. Living on-campus is an integral and excellent way for students to connect with others on campus and has been shown to have a positive effect on student success. Students must submit a petition to be considered for an exemption from the live-on requirement.

I don’t know if I’ve been admitted to OSU-Cascades yet. Can I still apply for housing?

You must first gain admission to OSU-Cascades before you can apply for on-campus housing. Once you have gained admittance, we would recommend starting the application process as soon as possible to ensure you receive one of your top housing preferences.

How do I start the application process?

Please review our application process here.

I am the parent of a student coming to OSU-Cascades. Can I apply for housing for them?

All residents must apply for housing themselves, unless they require assistance in the process. Since they will be the ones living with us, we encourage students to complete their own housing application and roommate profile.

Will I need to pay a deposit or advance rent payment?

No, there is no deposit or advance rent payment necessary. The only payment you will have to make is the $50.00 non-refundable contract signing fee for the residence hall that is applied to your student account prior to your arrival on campus.

What if I am admitted to the university late?

Applications are taken on a rolling basis. Room selection goes by housing application submission date. Therefore, the sooner you submit your housing application the more likely you will be able to select one of your top housing preferences when room selection begins.



What is the housing contract?

The contract is a document that tells you what the rules and expectations are for a resident living with us. When you sign the contract you agree to the rules and guidelines. It is legally binding for the duration of the contract.

Do I have to sign my contract by a certain time?

Yes, your contract must be signed before participating in room selection or getting assigned a room. If you are 18+ years old, you may sign the contract electronically via your myHousing account. If you are under 18, you are required to have a parent or guardian co-sign on the contract if you are under the age of 18.

How long is the contract valid?

The contract is for the entire academic year, September – June or remainder thereof if you contract during the year. There is no single-term contract option.

Should I still sign my contract, even if I want to change my room? 

Yes!  The contract is not for a specific hall and room, but rather for a space in our residence hall.  You should still sign the contract to secure a space in the residence hall.  Again, we are committed to providing you with housing that will help you succeed in your academic endeavors.

What if I am leaving OSU-Cascades or moving off-campus in the middle of the year and need to cancel my contract?

You will complete the Housing Cancelation form in the myHousing portal. Direct any questions to our Residential Education and Housing staff about this process.

What will my contract cancelation fee be?

Residential Education and Housing offers a full-year contract, beginning in September and ending in June. Students who arrive during the academic year are offered a contract for the remainder of the year. Details on the cancelation policy can be found in Section 6 of the Room and Dining Contract.

If I want to move to a different room do I need to sign another contract?

No, the contract is not for a specific hall and room, but rather for a space somewhere within the residence hall. By signing the contract you secure a space to live somewhere on campus. If you would like to change rooms during the year you are welcome to submit a room change request via your MyHousing account.


Dining Plans

Do I have to have a dining plan while living on campus?

Yes, it is required to have a dining plan while living on campus. 

How do I change my dining plan?

You are welcome to modify your dining plan by emailing You can move your plan down to a smaller plan for the first three weeks of any term; and up to a higher plan at any time. 


When do Fall 2023 classes start? When can I move in?

Classes begin Wednesday, September 27, 2023. Move-in will be the weekend prior to the start of classes for first time residents of the hall. More specifics will be available toward the end of summer. 

Do I have to move in the day my residence hall opens?

It is recommended in order to get all of the information and orientation needed in order to start the academic year most prepared.

Can I check-in early?

You are welcome to check in early if you have a viable reason and have made prior arrangements with our staff to do so. However, if you want to arrive early to campus simply because it works better for your schedule that will not be allowed. If you need to arrive to campus early due to a prior engagement with a University Sponsored event, please email

Where do I go to check-in?

Go the Residential Education and Housing office on the first floor of the OSU-Cascades Residence Hall to check-in.

Where do I check-in if I arrive after the designated check-in times?

Students arriving after their scheduled move-in day must check-in with the on-duty Resident Assistant (RA). The RA on-duty can be reached by calling the posted cell phone number on the hall doors. We encourage students to arrive during designated time whenever possible, however you will only be keyed into your room. The next morning, residents must formally check in to receive their permanent room key.

Can I stay in my room during a break period i.e. winter break?

The residence hall will remain open during all breaks. Break housing is included in all room and board rates. There is no dining plan option for break periods, but limited dining options are available on campus at those times. Students scheduled to stay over breaks are encouraged to add to their Orange Cash account, if they would like to eat on campus during the break or continue to use their term meal plan if money is still on it. The next term’s meal plan dollars will not be available for use until the start of the next term. Students must sign up for break so that our Residential Education and Public Safety staff are aware of who will be in the building and we will be able to best serve students over the break. To sign up simply go to the myHousing portal and select “Break Housing”. All residents can leave their belongings in their rooms during break periods, as long as their Room and Dining Contract is current.

What appliances are allowed in my room?

Blenders, electrical can openers, fans, televisions (not wall mounted), lamps (incandescent only, no more than 60 watts) are allowed in your residence hall room. Microwaves are only allowed in the room if the appliance is part of the MicroFridge® set (a specific brand available from any online retailers for sale and for rent) and uses “one plug” technology, and is not kept in confined areas (i.e. closets) and is UL Listed.

The following items are allowed granted they are UL Listed, have a double insulated, three prong cord, and have an automatic shutoff: clothes irons, coffee makers, hot pots, rice cookers (only to be used in the kitchen), hair iron, refrigerators (Energy Star rated, 3.1 cubic feet or smaller, plus 11 amps or less, not kept in confined areas). For the complete list of items that are allowed please look here.

What items are prohibited?

Due to health and safety concerns and facility capacity issues, there are a number of appliances that are not allowed in the residence halls. Some, not all of the prohibited items are, air conditioners, barbecues, fog, smoke or haze machines, hookahs and hookah smoking accessories, halogen and lava lamps, crockpots or slow cookers, etc. To see a complete list of all prohibited items, please look here.

Am I allowed to bring any sort of animals/pets into my room?

Student residents may not have pets in any residential building, with the exception of fish kept in an aquarium no larger than 10 gallons. Other exceptions to this policy are granted for students who have approval from Disability Access Services. Fish kept as pets in the residential buildings must remain in their aquariums at all times. No gravel is allowed down the drains in the sinks, showers, or toilets. If you notice stray animals in or around the living groups, please notify a staff member so that the animal can be appropriately assisted or relocated. You must not abuse, feed, or bring the animal into any University building.

How do I set up the internet in my room?

All residence hall rooms have a wired network connection and most all have wireless coverage. We recommend bringing a network cable to connect to the wired network, even if you plan on using wireless. Wired connections are faster, more secure, and more reliable than wireless. We do not allow the use of wireless routers as they may interfere with OSU Secure and OSU Access wireless coverage.

Moving out

I want to move out. How do I do this?

Visit this informational page and follow the steps to move out from your space on campus. 

What if I moved out of my room without telling the housing staff?

If possible, you will want to return to campus to schedule an appointment to meet and discuss your moving out with them. If you do not meet with them you have the potential to be charged the $50.00 improper moving out fee.

What does a clean room entail?

First, you will want to remove all of your personal belongings from your room. Take out your trash and recycling to the appropriate receptacles. Ensure all original furniture is in the room. You are responsible for all missing or broken furniture. Completely clean your room i.e. wipe surfaces down, floor is swept or vacuumed and mopped, closet and dresser are emptied and wiped down, room door, ceiling and walls are free of tacks, tape, adhesive strips, moon/stars/comets, trash and recycling bins have been emptied and are clean inside.

What happens to my mail when I move out?

Mail is held for up to one week after your checkout date, and is forwarded for 30 days. Your mail will be returned to sender, so please update your address with the various companies and people from whom you receive mail. Be sure to update your mailing address at Student Online Services as soon as you know your new address.

If you filled out a Change of Address with the US Postal Service in the fall, you can cancel it within one year at the post office. However, the USPS will not forward mail to a residence from a business address like OSU-Cascades, so a new Change of Address is not an option. 

What if I want to appeal any of the charges housing has put onto my account after my moving out?

If you believe that you have been charged incorrectly or would like to appeal the charges for Housing and Dining, you will need to submit a Housing Petition of Financial Appeal found on the myHousing portal. Please keep in mind the petition must be submitted within 45 days of the original charge and will need to provide documentation that you believe is relevant to your cases. You also cannot appeal charges that have not been put onto your account. The committee will meet within 30 days of your submitted petition and will render their decision to you after the meeting via your ONID email.

My roommate moved out; can I spread out my personal belongings since I am the only one living there?

Unfortunately, no. If you decide to spread out your personal belongings so that you occupy more than half of the room you run the risk of being charged an increased room rate. Please keep all of your personal belongings on your side of the room. This allows for any new potential roommates to feel welcome and comfortable when they arrive to the room. If, however, your room has been deemed not ready for a new roommate you have the potential of having your room rate increase. Once your room has been deemed not ready for a new roommate your room rate will change to a double as single.

Mid-Year Contract/Application/Situations

I am moving onto campus during the middle of the academic year. How long will my contract be for?

If you move onto campus during the academic year your contract will be from the day you sign it and move on campus until the end of the academic year in June.

If I move onto campus during the middle of a term is my room rate pro-rated?

Yes. There are a certain number of days of occupancy in each term therefore the later you move onto campus the fewer days you will be paying for that term. At the beginning of the next term your rate will be the amount posted on the rate sheet given your room type.

International student concerns

What if I can’t find my food?

Dining Services has many dining options throughout campus, including vegan and vegetarian, gluten-free, and Halal. For more information on specialty dining options, or to meet with our nutritionist to find dining options that meet your needs, visit the Nutrition page

I’m an international student, when can I move in?

International students may have orientation beginning prior to campus move-in dates. Students who need to arrive early to campus for orientation can move in one day prior to the start of orientation. Contact Residential Education and Housing if you have questions,

As an international student, will my appliances work?

All residence space has standard North American outlets with 120 volts. An adaptor and/or converter may be needed for items (computer, hair dryer, etc.) purchased outside of the United States. To see a list of appliances that are allowed in the residence space, see this list.


What if I don’t get along with my roommate?

Many first year college students have never had a roommate before. A great roommate match takes effort from both people. As long as you and you roommate communicate well and discuss issues ahead of time, such as schedules, cleanliness of the room, and visitors, you will find that having a roommate is not a bad thing (in fact, it can even be a great thing). However, if you discover that you and your roommate can't resolve your conflicts, find a staff member in your Residence Hall. These trained individuals are available to assist in solving conflicts.

Can I live with my friend?

Sure. It is important to live with someone you are comfortable with; but living with someone you may not know too well can be a great learning experience. Living with someone you already know coming in might hinder your opportunities to meet new people. 

What if I have a specific medical condition that requires me to live in a certain environment?

If you have a specific medical condition that would require you to live in a certain environment, you will need to fill out a “Disability and Dietary Accommodations” request form which can be found on your myHousing portal. You also will need to fill out an application with Disability Access Services (DAS) as early as possible in order to receive the full benefits of the service. DAS can be reached at (541) 737-4098. Requests for single rooms based solely on a desire to have a “quiet, undisturbed place to study” will not be granted.

Can my therapy/service animal stay with me in my room?

Yes, however you will need to submit a “Disability and Dietary Accommodations” request via your MyHousing. You will also need to fill out an application with Disability Access Services (DAS) as early as possible in order to receive the full benefits of the service. DAS can be reached at (541) 737-4098. Please refer to the OSU Service & Assistance Animal Policy here

What if my room was deemed not ready to accept a new roommate and my rate was changed?

If after two room inspections your room is not ready to accept a new roommate, your room rate has the potential to increase. In order for your room rate to return to the original rate it will needed to be demonstrated to either our housing staff that the room is now ready and welcoming.

Is the residence hall co-ed?

All of our residence hall floors are co-ed.

How do I update my contact information?

It is required when you live on campus that you have a primary emergency contact in case of emergencies. This is completed with your housing application on the myHousing portal. If you are under 18 years of age, your primary emergency contact must be a guardian or parent. You will also designate a contact for you should there be a need to locate you (missing person contact) as per federal law that may be different than your emergency contact. Additional contact information, such as a nickname that you would prefer to go or alternate emails and telephone numbers can be added you would like to do so. 

How do I make a disability and dietary accommodation request?

If you are a student with a documented disability and you are considering enrolling at OSU-Cascades and living on campus, or if you are a currently enrolled student, you should contact Disability Access Services (DAS) as early as possible to receive the full benefit of services available. Services are provided on a case-by-case basis. The types of accommodations provided are dependent on the nature of the student's disability. Residential Education and Housing works closely with the Disability Access Services (DAS) office in providing housing and dining accommodations that meet individual needs. Students interested in living in accessible spaces in the residence hall must first fill out the dietary and disability accommodation request. In order to submit the request, you will want to log onto your MyHousing and look for the “Disability and Dietary Accommodations” form.

How do I submit a maintenance request?

If you notice an issue with your room, please submit a maintenance request through our website or the myHousing portal. One of the maintenance workers will contact you shortly thereafter the request was submitted to discuss the situation further with you.

How do I reserve a loft or bunk kit?

For all information on reserving loft or bunk kits visit the loft and bunk kit page.

What if I believe I have been wrongly charged regarding a charge from University Housing and Dining Services?

If you believe that you have been charged incorrectly or would like to appeal the charges for housing and/or dining, you will need to submit a Housing Petition of Financial Appeal found in the myHousing portal. Please keep in mind the petition must be submitted within 45 days of the original charge and will need to provide documentation that you believe is relevant to your case. You also cannot appeal charges that have not been put onto your account. The committee will met within 30 days of your submitted petition and will render their decision to you after the meeting via your ONID email.

What is my address while I live on campus?

You will be assigned a mailbox when you check into the residence hall. All mail and packages can be sent to:

1500 SW Chandler Avenue
Bend, OR 97702

Are the rooms furnished?

Yes. Every room in a residence hall comes with a desk, chair, wardrobe/closet space, set of dresser drawers and a bed (XL twin). Students are responsible for keeping all furniture inside of the room at all times. Any furniture that goes missing will be considered a conduct issue and will result in a meeting with Residential Education and Housing staff. We encourage students to decorate and make the room their own by bringing items from home, etc., however, there cannot be any nails/screws attached to the walls. 

If you have any questions please contact our office at 541-322-3177 or