Disability & Dietary Accommodation Information

Oregon State University - Cascades Residential Education and Housing staff are committed to providing equitable opportunities to higher education and programs for academically qualified students without regard to disability. Read more on the OSU-Cascades Accessibility website.


Requests for Housing Accommodations

We seek to work with students who are eligible to receive accommodations under section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973,the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA, as amended 2010), and the Fair Housing Act. If you are a student with a documented disability and you are considering enrolling at OSU and living on campus, or if you are a currently enrolled student, you should contact Disability Access Services (DAS) as early as possible to receive the full benefit of services available. Services are provided on a case-by-case basis. The types of accommodations provided are dependent on the impact of the student's disability. Residential Education and Housing works closely with the Disability Access Services (DAS) office in providing housing and dining accommodations that meet individual needs. Students interested in living in accessible spaces in the residence hall must first fill out the Housing Disability Accommodation Request form on the myHousing portal.


Single Room Accommodations

Requests for a single room as an accommodation based solely on a desire to have a “quiet, undisturbed place to study” will not be granted. By virtue of the shared facilities, resources, and number of people living under one roof, it is not logical to assume that having a private room would provide for such quiet, distraction-free space to any appreciable degree beyond living in a standard double room. Requests for single room as an accommodation requires documentation from a qualified medical professional, that demonstrates a link between the request and disability. 


Types of accommodation provided include, but are not limited to

  • Wheelchair accessible room with private bath, and caregiver room
  • Wheelchair accessible room with private bath 
  • Room equipped with a fire alarm strobe
  • Single room, private bathroom
  • Single room, suite bathroom
  • Suite with kitchen
  • Service or emotional support animal
  • Dining modification 


Steps to Receive Housing Accommodations

  • Register with Disability Access Services (DAS) and provide documentation of your disability to DAS.
  • Apply for housing and then provide details and documentation of specific need in the myHousing portal.
  • Once your application and request for accommodation have been submitted, they will be reviewed by Residential Education and Housing and DAS. Assignments are made based on availability of housing and approved housing accommodations. Requests for accommodation beginning Fall term made before June 1 will be given priority. After June 1, requests for accommodation will be made as space is available.


OSU Policy on Assistance Animals (including Emotional Support Animals) in University Housing

Residential Education and Housing will allow an assistance animal if certain conditions are met. The animal must be necessary for the resident with a disability to have equal access to housing and the accommodation must also be reasonable. An accommodation is unreasonable if it presents an undue financial or administrative burden on the university, poses a substantial and direct threat to personal or public safety or constitutes a fundamental alteration of the nature of the service or program.


Requests for assistance animals in housing should be made by

  • Submitting documentation of a disability to Disability Access Services
  • Making an accommodation request by filling out the Housing Disability Accommodation Request in the myHousing portal.


Featured Accessibility Options In Our Buildings



If you have any questions, please feel free to contact any of the resources below:

Residential Education and Housing Office

Disability Access Services
(541) 737-4098